Saturday, June 6, 2009

Which is the Imitation?

I'm a fan of (selected) comics. Not the type that are called graphic novels these days, but simply the small amusement from those in the daily paper. Some like Family Circus are cute, or funny like Garfield, or simply amusing like Frazz.

The best ones to me take a piece of daily life and find something amusing in it. Although I don't agree with many of their political views, Non Sequitur can be like that. Their recent series on Non Conceptual Scientists is a case in point. The last strip in the series contained the following quote:

...as a Pre Conceptual scientist, you reach a conclusion to a theory first then just ignore all evidence that proves you're wrong...



That was amusing to me from a number of worldview perspectives, but then I didn't think too much of it until I saw a feed today from The Times. It reports on one in seven scientists faking data to support a pre-conceived conclusion, usually in order to secure funding.

Life imitates art?

No comments:

Post a Comment