Sunday, September 26, 2010

Struts 1.x Logical Flow

Java programmers should be familiar with Apache Struts as an extremely popular free and open-source framework for creating web applications. Although the 2.x branch of the project is the one currently being developed, the 1.x version continues to be widely used for a variety of reasons.

At one point a couple of years ago I found myself needing to explain the control flow through Struts 1 and was unable to find a visual representation that illustrated what I was thinking. Therefore I created the logical control flow shown below.


It does bear some resemblance to a spaghetti chart, but does illustrate several elements of a simple Struts control flow. While originally created for a single purpose, uses for it still surface occasionally in various forums, so I thought there may be some value in posting it for those learning or teaching Struts 1.

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this graphic is freely granted, provided that the original authorship notice is preserved.

One more thing out of my GTD "Someday" category. Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. I had a hard time to find any Struts flow period..Thank you !! Do I dare to ask if you have a chart for Struts 2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maryna, You're welcome. You may dare to ask, but unfortunately I don't have one. As downlevel as it may sound, I've never fully made the move to Struts2. If you find (or create) one, please post back for future reference. I'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanx a lot for this chart.i was searching for one such thing for such a long time.Thanx again for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smruti, You're welcome. Thanks for taking time to post your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. It's just what I was looking for

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pedro, glad you found it useful. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete