Friday, February 27, 2009

BBQ Season

Actually, it is coming close to vacation season. How do I know? Everywhere you turn there are advertisements (with unusually deep discounts this year) to book your vacation now. However, I've always preferred to assemble my own "vacation packages", frankly on a scale well below what the ads portray.

So influenced by Madison Avenue and armed with the false confidence that precedes any trip planning, I wondered what would be a good (great?) vacation to plan. Then I remembered The NC Barbecue Society Historic Trail. Some families retrace historical events from times in the nation's history, so why not do the same on the state level - with some great food thrown in as a bonus?

The Society makes them all sound good, although there are obviously going to be a lot of favorites left off any "best of" list. Additionally there were restrictions such as only two sites per town. I can personally vouch for Hurshey's, Lexington #1 and Bridges. Especially Bridges.

If you're just a little curious, I've mapped the whole tour (less Cobb & Son, which I couldn't find) via Google maps - all 15 hours of driving. Will we really turn vacation season into BBQ season this year? I doubt it, but it was fun to plan.

Now maybe if we can get school credit for the trip, hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment